Spring Flooding Update
Missouri has experienced flood damage in multiple parts of the state with anticipated impact still to come as rivers continue to crest. Missouri state officials are asking that the UMC not send volunteers at this time due to high water and road closures. Missouri UM Disaster Response is in contact with Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD) and Missouri State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA). UMCOR is also keeping a close eye on the situation and is in touch with Missy Lindner, Disaster Response Coordinator. Please pay attention to local requests for volunteers by county and city/town officials. That is the best and safest way for immediate service. The UMC Disaster Response Facebook page (@umcdisaster) will help share these local requests.
Local churches can give by sending a check and designating it for our general disaster relief fund. Churches wanting to give for flood relief can direct checks to the Annual Conference with the designation of “disaster relief.” All giving for flood relief will be used through our general disaster relief fund. This will give us the flexibility to use any funds remaining for future disasters. Make checks payable to: Missouri Annual Conference (memo: Mo Disaster Response) and mail to Missouri Annual Conference, 3601 Amron Ct. Columbia, MO 65202.
Please continue to pray for the people of flood-affected areas and for the lives lost due to the rising water. Below are some resources for local churches during this time of response.
- MOAC UM DISASTER RESPONSE. www.facebook.com/umcdisaster. As news unfolds from state agencies, Missy Lindner (email@example.com), Disaster Response Coordinator will keep this up-to-date with information. Visit http://www.umcdisaster.org/ for additional resources.
- NO NEED FOR CLEANING BUCKETS AT THIS TIME. Currently, we are asking that local churches hold on providing flood buckets. We have ample supply in Missouri and through the UMCOR Sager Brown Depot. Please wait until MOAC issues a call to replenish the supply.
- UNITED WAY 2-1-1. http://www.211helps.org/. A resource for pastors to refer congregation and community members in need of social service.
- GIVING (MO DISASTER RESPONSE). Visit here and click on the PayPal button for Missouri-related disaster needs. For paper giving, make checks payable to: Missouri Annual Conference (memo: Mo Disaster Response) and mail to Missouri Annual Conference, 3601 Amron Ct. Columbia, MO 65202.
- OPEN SHELTERS. Contact your local American Red Cross chapter to find open shelters for displaced persons related to the storms and flooding.