Click here to download the worship bulletin insert
PRAY. Pray for the people of flood-infected areas, for the lives lost, and for first responders. Search Discipleship Ministries for worship resources during times of natural disaster, including this Communion liturgy appropriate for those celebrating communion.
CLEANING AND HYGIENE KITS. Amy Fuselier, Director of Relief Supplies at UMCOR has invited United Methodists to prepare hygiene kits and cleaning buckets. Missouri currently has approximately 500 cleaning buckets that will be diverted to needed areas of the country when UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) calls. Help replenish our stock to enable swift response for this and future disasters. Visit UMCOR to learn how to make a cleaning kit ($65 value) or a hygiene kit ($12 value) and drop off completed kits at one of the regional sites in the next 30-60 days during normal business hours to replenish current inventory (call in advance for drop off specifics):
- Manchester UMC, 129 Woods Mill Rd, Manchester, MO 63011. (636) 394-7506
- Wentzville UMC, 725 Wall St, Wentzville, MO 63385. (636) 327-6377
- Arch UMC, 56017 Ocean Wave Ln, Hannibal, MO 63401. (573) 221-3227
- Schweitzer UMC, 2747 E Sunshine St, Springfield, MO 65804. (417) 881-6800
- New McKendree UMC, 225 S High St., Jackson, MO 63755. (573) 243-8487
- Woods Chapel UMC, 4725 NE Lakewood Way, Lee’s Summit, MO 64064. (816) 795-8848
- Christ’s Community UMC, 2700 E 44th St., Joplin, MO 64804. (417) 781-8701
- Missouri Annual Conference, 3601 Amron Ct., Columbia, MO 65202. (573) 441-1770
GIVE. Visit UMCOR.org for monies to be disbursed throughout the United States for disaster relief (US Disaster Response, Advance #901670). Consider giving a number of cleaning buckets ($65 each). Or, visit Missouri Disaster Response and click on the DONATE button. For paper giving, make checks payable to: Missouri Annual Conference (memo: Disaster Response) and mail to Missouri Annual Conference, 3601 Amron Ct. Columbia, MO 65202.
HELP. As emergency responders and communities respond to the storm, the best way to help is through financial contributions. Please do not attempt to send clothing or other resources as this point as they will only get in the way of relief efforts. If you are ERT-certified and you wish to volunteer, visit: https://riotexas.org/harvey#response. If you are a health or mental health profession and want to help, learn details and check to see if you are eligible through the Red Cross. Please wait for an invitation to volunteer. Recovery efforts have not begun, as we are still in the “Response” phase of this disaster. This will be a long-term recovery effort and United Methodists will be asked to help support recovery efforts for years to come.
- Rio Texas Annual Conference: https://riotexas.org/harvey
- Texas Annual Conference (Houston-area): http://www.txcumc.org/newsdetail/disaster-ministries-alert-potential-tropical-storm-hurricane-harvey-9102560
- Central Texas Annual Conference: http://www.ctcumc.org/CTCERT-Harvey
- Louisiana Annual Conference: http://www.louisianadisasterresponse.com/