An ongoing group of any size outside the walls of a church that offers the good news of Jesus Christ to unchurched people in a neighborhood or community around a specific need or interest without the expectation that people will come to a church building (e.g. Missional communities can take place in bowling alleys, fitness centers, restaurants, VFW halls, homes, workplaces and more. Christian community can be built among students, artists, scientists, the homeless and more. It’s about serving people, listening to them, and figuring out by the leadership of the Holy Spirit what form church should take as it’s planted in the context where people live, work and do life.)
A Pathway to Starting a New Missional Community
- Begin with a dangerous prayer: Lord, use me.
- Assess the needs/interests in your mission field.
- Communicate the needs/interests to your congregation and create awareness (videos, sermon series).
- Cultivate ideas and leadership using FAN (see the webinar below).
- Network both inside and outside the church.