This class will provide you with the basic information you need about Early Response Teams. ERTs fill a specific need in the days after a disaster to clean out flood-damaged homes, remove debris, place tarps on homes, and otherwise help to prevent further damage, while providing a caring Christian presence. It is ideal for each church to have ERT trained volunteers who are able to respond to needs across the Conference. Under the UMCOR system, early responders cannot help unless they are trained.
Fall 2023 Training Options:
Registration closes on November 2 for the November 11 training date.
- 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. on Saturday, September 23 - Virtual Recertification Class
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, November 11 in Wentzville
ERTs are not a first-response group of emergency workers, nor are they recovery, rebuild, or repair teams. Under very specific guidelines, ERTs assist survivors, without causing further harm or being a burden to the affected community. All ERT members are trained by authorized UMCOR trainers and are given identification badges as evidence of successful completion of the basic class.
To receive your UMCOR ERT Badge you must:
- Attend the in-person training session all day.
- Pass the test given at the end of the training session.
- Complete and pass the background check. Instructions will be sent the morning of your training session to be completed in class that day.
To deploy to a disaster site, responders must have an active Safe Gatherings certification.