The Northwest District Winter Lay Servant courses will be offered on Saturday, November 9, 2019, at two locations Bethany UMC and Platte City UMC. Below are the course options for this training.
- The Basic Course, using Lay Servant Ministries: Basic Course Participants Book, by S. Zeigler-Jackson & B. Jackson, is foundational for all advance courses. Participants are encouraged to consider the importance of exercising servant leadership, developing future leaders and remaining rooted in consistent spiritual practices.
- Called to Preach, using the book From Pew to Pulpit by Clifton F. Guthrie. This course is designed for those who have not completed formal preaching training, for pastors seeking a basic refresher course, and for others who are called upon to preach in a pastor’s absence.
- Leading Bible Study, using the book Biblical Interpretation: A Roadmap by Sharon Ringe and Frederick Tiffany will guide Lay Servants to discovering and asking the key questions - about biblical texts, about readers of the Bible, and about the interaction of the two - that forms the basis of biblical interpretation today. This course opens a new world for many lay servants who have not had professional training in biblical interpretation.
All classes listed above will be offered at both locations.
- Bethany UMC, 2703 Crestview Rd, Bethany, MO
- Platte City UMC, 14040 Hwy N, Platte City, MO
Registration Deadline is October 28, 2019. We cannot accept late registrations.