Youth Director - First UMC (Blue Springs)
First United Methodist Church of Blue Springs is seeking a youth director, 15-20 hours/week. We are seeking an energetic, faith-filled person to help us reach youth as we live out our mission to make faithful, hopeful, and loving disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Group activities occur on Wednesday and Sunday evenings, in addition to Sunday mornings. Complete job description is below, and application is available online at www.bluespringsumc.org. Click under Connect > Job Openings.
Note: Depending on abilities and credentials, there is a possibility of this person also sharing in duties as an Assistant/Associate Pastor, for an additional 10 hours/week.
The principal function of the Youth Director is to be responsible for delivering a program of spiritual growth for the church’s youth (grades 6-12). This position is approximately 20 hour/week, which will include recruiting and training Sunday School teachers for middle and high school youth. Primary responsibilities will be during the Sunday School, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening times.
This individual will:
- Lead and facilitate youth discipleship along with parents and other adults.
- Develop and implement a plan to disciple youth already in the church and reach out to unchurched youth in the community.
- Work with and develop adult leaders as a team for youth ministry.
- Responsible for the selection and implementation of resource material necessary for the development of an exciting and biblically relevant United Methodist youth ministry program.
- Develop a balanced program designed to invite the youth to know Christ, form them into solid Christians, and then send them out among their peers to repeat the process – thus expanding the youth ministry outreach program through discipling our youth. These activities include but not limited to:
- Sunday School – Youth Director (YD) recruits, arranges training, and provides support for volunteer teachers; helps select and requisition appropriate Sunday School materials and curriculum; purchases supplies based upon budget; plans special activities/events.
- UMY Groups – YD develops weekly evening program that is biblical, authentic and inspires youth to invite their friends. This program should enable youth to grow deeper in their Christian beliefs. YD recruits and arranges training for adult leaders/parents; plans special events, including trips and mission work.
- Confirmation – YD works with the pastor to assist in coordination and teaching of the confirmation class.
- Special Music/Holiday Projects – YD coordinates appropriate music programs with the Pastor and/or recruits leaders/volunteers with the ability to implement and increase youth involvement in the worship and holiday programming.
- VBS – YD coordinates youth involvement in this event and helps facilitate the event as needed.
- Annual Planning – YD arranges for annual planning sessions with the youth council to facilitate a definite direction for the Youth Ministry Programs at Blue Springs First UMC.
- Ad Council – YD reports youth activities at the Ad Council meetings.
- Budget – YD provides input for and works within the allocated youth ministries budget.
- Staff meetings – YD attends weekly staff meetings.
- Visits – Visit with all youth individually in their home, or at a public location. Active youth should be personally visited on a quarterly basis. Inactive youth should be contacted on a regular schedule decided by the YD.
- Continuing Education – YD must be willing to attend workshops, classes, seminars on Youth Ministry to keep up to date with youth trends and challenges.
- Attendance at Conference events, i.e. WOW
- Good spiritual influence to youth and others.
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to relate well with the youth.
- Committed on ongoing learning and skills improvement.
- Must have a strong personal commitment to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
- Must be a growing disciple in the daily discipline of prayer, bible study, etc.
- Must have a heart for youth and their families.
- Must love the Church.
- Must be an example for youth and others from which to learn and must conduct him/herself in a way that honors Christ.
- Must have the ability to communicate with all age groups and be a Christian caring person who can relate to others.
- Be experienced working with youth in some capacity.
- Ability to effectively lead youth in Bible Study and bring messages to youth in ways the message will be understood.
- Have the ability to connect the message of Jesus with the lives of today’s youth.
- Having a background in Christian Education is desirable.
- Have collegiality with other paid staff and volunteers.
- Have met the Safe Sanctuary Certification
This Youth Director will report to the Senior Pastor for the purpose of evaluation and review. This position is finally accountable to the Staff-Parish Relations Committee of First United Methodist Church and has direct access to that committee when desired. A written copy of employee policies, guidelines, benefits and holidays is on file in the Church office.
Hours and Compensation:
This is a regular, part-time 20 hours per week position with an annual salary of $19,671. Must track time in case there is a need to compensate for overtime.
Contact: Andrea Lyttle
Address: 301 SW Woods Chapel Rd. Blue Springs MO 64015