Mozambique Initiative Coordinator - Missouri Annual Conference
Mozambique Initiative Coordinator
Purpose: The Mozambique Initiative Coordinator provides coordination of all programs, information, and projects associated with the Missouri Conference’s Mozambique Initiative (MI).
Employment: Position filled by application and interview with the Director of Mission, Service and Justice Ministries.
Compensation: Exempt. 40 hours a week. Shall be determined annually in accordance with the fiscal year by the Director of Mission, Service and Justice Ministries.
Salary: Range depending on experience- $49,000-$53,000, with separate travel allowance.
- Promotes current MI ministries and bridges relationships between partners in mission.
- Explores and develops new ministries in collaboration with the UMC in Mozambique working with the Missouri Conference’s MI Team and MI constituency.
- Collaborates with staff and team members to execute the vision.
- In collaboration with Office of Finance and Administration, supports system of financial accountability in Missouri and Mozambique. Reviews all transactions, account balances, and monthly bank statements to ensure that all finances are reconciled. In collaboration with Office of Finance and Administration, monitors spending and transfer of funds, codes expenditures, keeps detailed financial records, complies with Conference and GBGM audit requests, and participates in transparent financial practices.
- Reviews all Missouri Conference donations and ensures that funds are accounted for, recorded, and sent to Mozambique in a timely fashion.
- Coordinates development of financial processes with the Office of Finance and Administration.
- Reviews ministry grant applications in collaboration with the MI Team for all ministries and projects in Mozambique.
- In collaboration with Office of Connectional Ministries, shares regularly about the ministry throughout the Missouri Conference through email, phone calls, in person or video presentations, and social media.
- Communicates with all parties in Mozambique and Missouri regularly.
- Facilitates mutual learning about cultural differences and the realities of poverty in Missouri and Mozambique.
- International and in-state travel required.
- Collaborates with Mozambique Initiative Team to engage in innovative sustainable ministries.
- Communicate with other Conferences, organizations, and individuals across the globe who are also partners in Mozambique.
- Research and analyze strategies in the international arena (ex. Microfinance and social entrepreneurship).
- Support Conference-wide Priorities.
- Reports to Director of Mission, Service and Justice Ministries.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Believer in Jesus Christ.
- Cultural awareness and knowledge about cross-cultural ministry.
- Knowledge of the history/politics/culture of Sub-Saharan Africa in general and Mozambique specifically.
- Understanding of global poverty and systemic theories that underlie the reasons for such injustices. Working understanding of different types of poverty.
- Knowledge of sustainable interventions that assist communities in increasing capacity, self-sufficiency and reducing poverty.
- Public speaking skills.
- Diplomacy and strong communication skills.
- Fundraising knowledge.
- Budgeting and financial knowledge.
- Desire to support and grow the United Methodist Church, and a commitment to UMC polity and governance.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
- Flexible, proactive and demonstrated strategic planning skills.
- Basic Portuguese language skills helpful.
- Ability to balance a variety of competing priorities well.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and best avenues to share stories, photos, video across multiple venues (ex. Facebook, Instagram, Mailchimp, etc.).
- Able to communicate how the MI Initiative is part of the overall vision of the Missouri Conference.
- Possess a high level of self-awareness.
- Commitment to Missouri Annual Conference’s vision and mission: The Missouri Conference will relentlessly lead our churches to become outwardly focused and spiritually centered Christ followers.
- Exempt, 40 hours per week. The office is located in Columbia, MO. The schedule is flexible to allow for international communication with Mozambique.
- Some weekend responsibilities are required.
- Travel involved and required. Includes at least one trip to Mozambique each year and travel throughout the conference.
- This position is subject to a six-month evaluation and assessment regarding qualifications, readiness and enthusiasm for the position.
Contact: Beth West
Address: 3601 Amron Court Columbia MO 65201