Director of Ministries to Children, Youth and Families - St. John UMC (Kansas City)
Position Description Director of Ministries with Children, Youth, and Families
St. John’s United Methodist Church
6900 Ward Parkway Kansas City, MO 64113
St. John’s United Methodist Church is a faith community of approximately 400 members in a neighborhood south of the Country Club Plaza. The church is growing and emphasizing the importance of faith formation and discipleship for all age groups. The Director of Ministries with Children, Youth, and Families is a leader of faith formation, the purpose of which is to help all members know God and to become faithful disciples of Jesus Christ.
The person who qualifies for this job will possess the following characteristics:
- Experienced, gifted, and passionate about working with children, youth, and families;
- Spiritual and psychological maturity;
- Excellent people skills, cooperative attitude, ability to work effectively as a member of a team;
- Excellent communication skills and ability to reach out to others, in order to promote children, youth, and family ministries within as well as outside the congregation;
- Ability to work creatively and effectively without daily supervision;
- Ability to work with different personalities and styles, flexibility;
- Knowledge of a variety of faith formation curriculum for children and youth;
- Willingness to participate in local groups focused on ministry with children, youth, and families; and
- Affiliation with the United Methodist Church is preferred, but candidates from other traditions will be considered.
The Director of Ministries with Children, Youth, and Families will be responsible for providing leadership for the Children’s Ministry Team and The Youth Ministry Team overseeing all aspects of the ministry, including regular and occasional duties. The Director will also work with and support the Family and Young Adult Ministry Team (FAYAM) and its leaders.
Regular Responsibilities Include:
- Develop and implementing goals, objectives, and budget for Ministries with Children, Youth, and Families.
- Meet and work with the Youth Group.
- Work with parents and families to strengthen their relationship with the church and with other parents and families.
- Work with the Senior Pastor and the Children’s and Youth Ministry Teams to recruit, equip, train, and support leaders, teachers, and facilitators for activities such as Sunday School, Youth Group, Vacation Bible School, Happy Birthday Jesus!, Hanging of the Greens, and the Christmas Eve Family Service.
- Participate in weekly Staff Meetings
- Communicate with the congregation and community regarding activities and opportunities for children, youth, and their families, including use of social media.
- Function as the Safe Sanctuaries Local Church Administrator to implement Safe Sanctuary guidelines and training.
- Oversee and work with the Nursey Ministry Team to assure high quality Sunday Nursery care. Occasional Responsibilities Include: • Lead or help in the leadership of Worship
- Other responsibilities as assigned Educational Requirements Candidate must have a bachelor’s degree in a field related to ministries with children, youth, and families such as Christian education, elementary or secondary education, social work, psychology, sociology, or the practice of ministry. Safe Sanctuary certification is required
The Director of Ministries with Children, Youth, and Families will be supervised by the Senior Pastor, and be accountable to the Senior Pastor and the Church Board.
CONTACT INFORMATION For more information or to apply for the position of Assistant for Children’s Ministry please contact the Senior Pastor of St. John’s United Methodist Church: Rev. Dr. Jim Hoffman 816-670-1070 email@example.com
Contact: Rev. Dr. Jim Hoffman
Address: 6900 Ward Parkway Kansas City MO 64113