Communication Specialist - Missouri Annual Conference Office (Columbia, MO)
Job Description: Communication Specialist, Office of Connectional Ministries
Reports to: Sr. Communications Specialist
The Communication Specialist works within the communications work area of the United Methodist Church in Missouri. This position works with multiple departments to help tell the story of ministry through media. This is a hybrid account coordinator/designer position with some minor design work expected as well coordination with external contractors for design, production needs. Strong emphasis will be on writing and storytelling skills and an understanding of new media.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the daily social media postings (e.g., Facebook, Instagram) under the direction of the Sr. Communications specialist and in alignment with the marketing and communications calendar including writing and scheduling social media posts across platforms and minor web and print design for projects and events (e.g., Facebook banners, sponsored ads, etc.).
- Email marketing target list management, composition, editing, testing, and deployment.
- Assist with content generation and management of digital publications and vehicles including main site (www.moumethodist.org) and multiple sub-brand websites, particularly the Office of NextGen Ministries (www.nextgenumc.org and www.nextgencamps.org).
- Upload and publish monthly magazine articles to online magazine archive.
- Edit Learn and Lead podcast episodes.
- Evaluate communication strategies using communication evaluation template following Conference events.
- Provide extensive support to the NextGen team especially in the areas of:
- Social Media
- Create and distribute marketing materials to advertise NextGen Ministries
- Manage social media platforms including Facebook and Instagram
- Research audience preferences and discover current trends
- Create engaging text, image and video content
- Prepare quarterly reports on web traffic and ROI
- Content Collecting
- Attend all NextGen Ministries events to collect content
- Attend camps to collect content
- Share and organize work and content with interns and other staff
- Social Media
- Preferred but not required Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Printing Technologies, Communications, related degree or job related experience.
- Excellent public relations and communication skills.
- Self-starter mindset and attention to detail.
- Preferred experience in audio and video content creation and post-production experience.
- Ability to teach others about communication and marketing tools
- Desire to support and grow the United Methodist Church and a basic understanding of UMC polity and governance.
- Competency in PC, Mac and other platforms and software including: Microsoft Office suite, Keynote, iMovie, Adobe Creative Suite, specifically InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere.
- This position requires creativity, flexibility, a diverse skill set and collaboration with internal and external groups. There is a high degree of social interaction required.
- Commitment to Missouri Annual Conference’s vision and mission: The Missouri Conference will relentlessly lead our churches to become outwardly focused and spiritually centered Christ followers. All Missouri Conference staff are expected to be committed to growth in their own personal discipleship.
- Maintain a collaborative working spirit with all employees and internal centers and offices.
- Full-time, non-exempt.
- Some travel involved. Travel expenses will be reimbursed per the Conference reimbursement policy outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Some weekend responsibilities are required. Comp time or overtime may be a part of compensation for work over 40 hours.
- This position is subject to a one-month evaluation and assessment regarding qualifications, readiness and enthusiasm for the position.
Contact: Kim Jenne
Address: 3601 Amron Court Columbia MO 65202