A Methodist Milestone: Missouri Methodist Foundation Celebrates 50th Year
The Missouri United Methodist Foundation is having a birthday. “We are probably going to try and celebrate for at least 18 months!” states David Atkins, the Foundation’s executive director. “It really is a major milestone – not just for one organization but for the shared ministries of congregations and individuals across the state.”
“Starting from scratch in 1967, the Foundation has grown to be a major source of ministry grants, seminary scholarships, undergraduate scholarships, endowment and investment services, and stewardship education,” Atkins recounts.
A few facts tell a tremendous story:
- Since 2005, total Foundation assets under administration have nearly doubled to over $94 million.
- Since 2008, the average annual additions into the Foundation have totaled over $5 million, and the average total annual distributions out of the Foundation have been over $4.5 million.
- Seminary Scholarships – Since 2005 over $790,000.
- Undergraduate Scholarships – Since 2005 over $575,000.
- Ministry Grant Program – Since 2005, nearly $3.5 million in support of local church projects, Congregational and Pastoral Development, Central Methodist University, and our UM Social Service agencies
- Newer initiatives include:
- The Cole Summer Ministerial Internships – $30,000 available each summer.
- The Missouri Fellows program – In partnership with the Center for Congregational Excellence and local congregations, up to $75,000 each year.
- And our newest initiative, in partnership with the Lilly Endowment – the Clergy & Church Financial Ministry (C2FM), which will make up to $1.5 million available in new educational resources and clergy direct aid over three years.
The Foundation is planning some special presentations and activities for the upcoming Annual Conference in Springfield and will continue to sponsor related events in the months ahead. Visit the Foundation website for more information about all its activities and services: http://www.mumf.org.