Disaster Response Coordinator - Missouri Annual Conference
Disaster Response Coordinator
Function: To serve as the primary coordinator for our disaster preparedness and response ministries.
Employment: Position filled by application and interview with the Director of Mission, Service and Justice Ministries.
Compensation: Hourly Non Exempt. 20 hours a week. Shall be determined annually in accordance with the fiscal year by the Director of Mission, Service and Justice Ministries.
- Develop and maintain contacts with government, civic and faith- based entities in order to develop response and recovery collaborations.
- Assess and suggest emergency procedures and vulnerabilities for local churches.
- Organize emergency preparedness exercises for conference office and district offices once a year.
- Develop, pilot, and/or share resources and trainings on disaster preparedness, response and recovery innovations.
- Update Disaster Response Plan communication materials as needed.
- Manage supplies in warehouse, resources and maintain lists as needed.
- Have firsthand knowledge of ongoing local and regional projects and work with local churches to identify viable service projects.
- Assist with grant development, as needed.
- Coordinate spiritual care for first-responders, volunteers and victims.
- Develop a volunteer training and volunteer deployment system.
- Learn the disaster response procedures and plans of the state and state-wide agencies, such as, the American Red Cross, SEMA or VOAD.
- Maintain communications with local and regional District Disaster Response Coordinators and share communications throughout the conference.
- Make contact with the disaster/emergency response officers throughout the state. Learn how the church might effectively relate to the county’s staff responsible for emergency response. Share the learnings at quarterly trainings.
- Contribute to the Conference crisis communication plan related to natural disasters.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A desire to serve Jesus Christ, through the Church with a loving, warm, welcoming and helpful nature. Also, a desire for discipleship and servant leadership.
- Experience or education background in Disaster Response or Emergency Management
- Strong oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Experience with working with volunteers
- Strong analytical, assessment, and project-planning skills
- Proficient with technology, social media, video conferencing, and apps that help connect volunteers with the opportunity to serve
- Capable of multi-tasking and troubleshooting within time constraints and in high pressure environments
- Able to respond professionally and effectively to multiple and often competing demands
- Able to lift 20 lbs.
- Flexible team player.
- Ability to work long or irregular hours during initial stage of disasters
- Travel to counties or regions (some impacted by disasters) that may have highly-limited infrastructure and facilities, requiring work and travel in conditions of physical and sanitary hardship
- Able to travel to a disaster site on short notice as needed
- Able to travel to conference office twice a month for meetings
Contact: Dora Thackery
Address: 3601 Amron Court Columbia MO 65202